"...provision that goes beyond..."
HEART, our Health, Education, Assessment and Revitalising Therapy department, was redefined in September 2017 in a response to meet an ever-increasing need from Local Authorities to find school placements for youngsters with mental health difficulties. HEART students have extensive access to our therapeutic services may be required, or where a great deal of additional managerial input is required. These young people have access to, and benefit from, the following provision that goes beyond that generally available to students funded on our basic fees.
At present we offer our HEART students the following:
- A calm and nurturing environment with access to a designated suite of rooms that allows them to study in areas where they can feel secure and relaxed.
- A key worker (under the guidance of the HEART Tutor) who is given dedicated time to ensure close and effective liaison between all those involved in their care and support.
- Prompt access to specific therapeutic support as and when necessary.
- All provision is overseen by the Strategic Head of Therapeutic Services who leads communication with other professionals both within and outside of school.
- Access to a fully flexible curriculum which is designed specifically to meet individual needs and interests. This is overseen by the Curriculum Lead: HEART, supported by the designated HEART teacher.
- In addition to the core subjects and options (which are taught by curriculum teachers usually in HEART), all HEART students have the opportunity to develop a range of life skills such as cooking and using public transport.They also have the opportunity to gain a qualification in ASDAN.